Monday, September 11, 2006

Onam '06 at UNIY

For some stupid reason that I really cant remember, I decided to wear a Mundu. And I guess that my fellow UniYans are going to make that a decision I regret for a very long time. I reached at 11 only to discover that nothing had started as yet. So the show was about to get on the road when disaster struck. On being informed that my mundu was worn too high, I stupidly tried to use the same manouvre I use on my pants, on my mundu. And that was when the world got to see how I look wearing half a mundu and a pair of shorts underneath. So I pick the pieces of my shattered ego and bunch up my mundu around me and have a seat. I had to suffer the humiliation of being looked and and laughed at for the following 20 minutes. And I also had to face the ignominy of having my "mundu kettal" video taped! And so my Onam celebrations went off with a bang. The curtain raiser (or lowering; as you prefer) was succeded by every member getting an opportunity to share his feelings amongst the others. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised when Aravind sang. Dint know you sang this well dude. Well, this was followed by the main event ..The sadhya. Everyone has already mentioned the madhuracurry ..heh heh...Well the ari payasam was purchased from Sweet Mahal by our very own Gouri madam. On being enquired about the rate, her reply was, " 10 rupees per glass, and 40 glasses... so that equals ........'NAALAAYIRAM RUPA' ".Sorry Gouri ...couldnt resist.
The sadhya was followed by the truth or dare event. For people who are interested in preparing the delicious and healthy drink that Arun John had, here are the ingredients... ada payasam, Ari payasam, Parripu, Sambar, Rasam, Pulisheri, ingi curry, narengya curry and thoran. After the truth or dare, we had the musical chairs and in Abhijith's words "Maashe...anungalde maanam kaaku..." ..and he did. Congrats Mash.(PS...my maanam was still missing).I also gave Gouri hell over her TIME ID card photograph, sorry if I hurt you...Then we had the STP, followed by Niranjan tryin to jump over imaginary sticks. We were all dead tired after a day packed with so much fun. It truly was a great onam. Credit goes to Mash as this entire day was his brainchild and he took the entire initiative. Also kudos to Manu, Varun and committee (which includes me by the way :D ) for organizing this. Thanks to everyone who contributed towards the food. Lets hope this carries on...